How to make your next meeting great… or how to avoid mutiny on your next Zoom call.
1. Send out an agenda ahead of time to level-set expectations and give attendees time to review the topics and formulate their thoughts.
2. Stick to the agenda. Do not get hi-jacked by a 45-minute conversation on point 1 of 10 total points. Parking lot any topic that needs further review or refinement and move on.
3. Ask genuine questions. This shifts the attendees from a reactionary or argumentative stance to one of curiosity and discovery.
4. Test your own assumptions. This lets the attendees know that their input matters and that the outcomes are not yet “set in stone.”
5. Get agreement on next steps in the meeting. Be clear on what attendees are to do during the meeting and follow up with a written message summing that up immediately after the meeting.
I hope these tips make your meetings more meaningful and ultimately deliver more valuable results.